First this is what I would like to say to the Panamanian ladies:
- Don't expect me to understand the social structure. It is a stretch for me to understand how so many subtle differences could emerge in the space of 100 short years or less since this land mass was seething malaria swamp and you were all immigrants. You are all survivors and that is the most remarkable thing to me and something to be very proud of.
- It is not that I entirely don't care about my appearance. I actually like how I look in loose clothes that cover my whitish purple legs, lowish or no heels, my own nails and not so much make up. Even if I don't like it, I have to hide my surface area from the sun or I would end up looking like a prune.
- Relax, I like men quite a bit and your men are very charming. I am used to working with men and having men as friends.....I am not interested in your husbands. Could not compete with you anyway, not nearly as accommodating.
Which brings me to what I would like to say to Panamanian gentlemen.
- Sex is OK. Almost certainly, I am not as interested in it as you are. I much prefer gardening, horses, coffee, good food as topics of conversation.
- I am not sitting in 'mi casa' eating bon bons all day waiting for you to come and visit , do some work, inform me of your plans, or drop something off!